Looks like we’ve got another weekend packed all the way to the top with amazing things to do here in the Hamptons. There’s a crazy number of events at our disposal, including the annual Artists & Writers Softball Game, TWO different free Shakespeare in the Park opportunities, ARF’s annual Bow Wow Meow Ball, a pair of legendary singers, a fleet of food trucks, and lots and lots of art on view. And that’s just Friday and Saturday. Whew!
Piper Perabo will perform Shakespeare in the Park at Mashashimuet in Sag Harbor on Friday and Saturday.
* The Bay Street Shakespeare Initiative and Hamptons Shakespeare Festival have joined together to host outdoor readings of Shakespeare’s “Twelfth Night,” starring Piper Perabo, on Friday, August 14, and Saturday, August 15, at Mashashimuet Park in Sag Harbor, NY. The two readings are free and will start at 7 pm. A VIP Benefit performance will be held on Sunday, August 16, at a private, oceanfront estate. http://www.baystreet.org
The Bay Street Shakespeare Initiative and Hamptons Shakespeare Festival are offering free outdoor readings of Shakespeare’s “Twelfth Night” on Friday and Saturday.
* The Southampton Cultural Center will present free Shakespeare in the Park at Agawam Park in Southampton with the Hip To Hip Theatre Company on Friday, August 14, and Saturday, August 15. At 7:30 p.m. with performances of “The Merchant of Venice,” on Friday and “The Merry Wives of Windsor” on Saturday. Additionally, Hip to Hip’s free children’s program “Kids & the Classics” will be offered 30 minutes before each performance, starting at 7 p.m. http://www.scc-arts.org
* Don’t forget that the fourth annual Food Truck Derby is also today, from 4 to 7 p.m. at the Hayground School in Bridgehampton. Purchase tickets at http://bit.ly/1g63wFN.
* And there’s an opening reception at Mark Borghi Fine Art today in Bridgehampton, from 6 to 9 p.m. for Gary Komarin’s “A Wilder Blue.” http://www.borghi.org
* The annual Artists & Writers Softball Game pre-game party will be held at LTV Studios in Wainscott tonight from 6 to 8:30 p.m. For tickets, visit http://www.ltveh.org
* On Saturday, it’s time for the annual Artists & Writers Softball Game at Herrick Park in East Hampton. Batting practice starts at noon and the game begins at 2 p.m. This year’s proceeds will benefit the East End Hospice, Eleanor Whitmore Early Childhood Center, Phoenix House Academy of Long Island and The Retreat. http://artistswritersgame.org
* On Saturday, August 15, ARF will host its Bow Wow Meow Ball at its 22 acre ARF campus in Wainscott starting at 6:30 p.m. This special evening, hosted by Brooke Shields, will honor internationally acclaimed architect Peter Marino for his unwavering commitment to animal welfare and the Animal Rescue Fund of the Hamptons. http://www.arfhamptons.org
Brooke Shields is emceeing this year’s Bow Wow Meow Ball for ARF.
* Guild Hall in East Hampton is bringing Grammy-winning singer Mavis Staples to the stage on Saturday at 8 p.m. The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer was named one of the 100 Greatest Women of Rock and Roll by VH1 and Rolling Stone listed her as one of the 100 Greatest Singers of All Time. http://www.guildhall.org
Mavis Staples is coming to Guild Hall. Photo by Chris Strong.
* Jazz and R&B icon George Benson will give a concert at the Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center on Saturday, August 15, at 8 p.m. http://www.whbpac.org
George Benson will play the WHBPAC. Photo by Marco Giaviano.
* Sorry folks,the “Stampede” opening reception on Saturday is now at capacity BUT feel free to check out other terrific Parrish offerings, including two others associated with Tucker Marder’s “Stampede” installation and the Road Show. Coming up next week, meet the artist at 1058 Deerfield Road in Water Mill, on Monday, August 17, at 11 a.m. and again, with the Big Duck Museum’s Lisa Dabrowski, on Wednesday, August 19, at 7 p.m. www.parrishart.org
Read more about this cool installation happening here:
Tucker Marder’s “Stampede” happens on Saturday as part of the Parrish Art Museum’s fun “Road Show” series.
* Lawrence Fine Art in East Hampton will host a reception for “Anna Walinska: Abstractions from the 50s and 60s” on Satuday from 5 to 8 p.m. The show will hang through Labor Day. http://www.lawrence-fine-arts.com
* Romany Kramoris Gallery in Sag Harbor will host an opening reception for Barbara Groot’s paintings on Saturday from 5 to 6:30 p.m. The show will hang through September 3. http://www.kramorisgallery.com
Scott McIntire’s “Sumac Energy Field, 2011” is included in the exhibit at Peter Marcelle Project.
* The Peter Marcelle Project in Southampton will host an opening reception for Scott McIntire’s “Environmental Intimacy on the East End” on Saturday, August 15, from 6 to 8 p.m. The show will hang through August 23. http://www.Petermarcelleproject.com
Check back here tomorrow for Sunday’s Hot Picks.