Looking at the spate of events to attend this weekend, tonight and tomorrow might just prove to be the biggest bangs of the entire summer. Here’s my list of the hottest events. More to come on Sunday. In the meantime, stay cool and stay safe.
The Voxare String Quartet will perform at LongHouse Reserve in East Hampton tonight. Greg Kessler photo.
* LongHouse Reserve in East Hampton will host the Voxare Quartet for “Strings al Fresco: an Evening of Remembrance of Ingeborg ten Haeff” tonight, Friday, August 7, beginning at 6 p.m. www.longhouse.org
Guild Hall’s annual summer benefit is tonight. Roy LIchtenstein’s “Water Lilies with Japanese Bridge.”
* Guild Hall’s annual Summer Benefit is tonight. The event, honoring artist Roy Lichtenstein and with a special preview exhibition of “”Between Sea and Sky,” will be held from 5 to 11 p.m. at a private East Hampton estate. www.guildhall.org
* The New York Center for Children’s annual Sunflower Party in Southampton, hosted by Henry Buhl, is tonight from 5 to 7 p.m. www.newyorkcenterforchildren.org
* The Sag Harbor Whaling and Historical Museum will host an opening reception for “East End Artists: Then & Now” from 6 to 8 p.m. on Friday, August 7. The show, which features works by Linda Alpern, Peter Beard, Miriam Dougenis, Robert Gwathmey, Tracy Harris, Jimmy Ernst, Anna Jurinich, Roy Lichtenstein, Louise Peabody, and more, will hang through August 23. www.sagharborwhalingmuseum.org
* BookHampton in East Hampton will host a book signing and reception for Sandra Nunnerley on Friday, August 7, from 8 to 9 p.m. www.bookhampton.com
The WHB PAC summer benefit will be held at Meadowcroft on Quiogue. Photo by Carol Garone.
* The Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center’s sixth annual Be Our Guest Gala will be held at a private estate on Quiogue on Friday, August 7, from 6 to 8 p.m. www.whbpac.org
A scene from “Grey Gardens,” now staging at Bay Street in Sag Harbor. Image copyright Lenny Stucker.
* Reminder: “Grey Gardens,” starring Betty Buckley and Rachel York, is now staging at Bay Street Theater in Sag Harbor. Buy your tickets now as the show is selling out FAST, with good reason. Here’s my preview from the Sag Harbor Express. http://sagharboronline.com/heights-of-glamor-depths-of-depravity-in-grey-gardens/ Look for my review in the next issue. www.baystreet.org
Authors Night will be held on Saturday to benefit the East Hampton Library.
* The East Hampton Library’s annual Authors Night benefit, featuring approximately 100 of the most notable and interesting writers today, will be held on Saturday, August 8, starting at 5 p.m. Dinners at a number of private homes will be held after the book signing event. www.authorsnight.org.
* The Evelyn Alexander Wildlife Rescue Center of the Hamptons will celebrate another year of rehabilitating and successfully releasing animals back into the wild across Long Island with its annual GET WILD Summer Gala. The event will be hosted by the Marder family at the Silas Marder Gallery in Bridgehampton on Saturday, August 8,and will honor artists April Gornik, Eric Fischl, Amy Sullivan and Real Estate Broker Susan Penzner. www.wildliferescuecenter.org
Boz Scaggs plays the PAC in Westhampton Beach on Saturday. Danny Clinch photo.
* Grammy Award-winner and gritty southern soul rocker Boz Scaggs performs at Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center on Saturday, August 8, at 8p.m. www.whbpac.org.
“Right On! The Lennon Years” by photographer Susan Wood will open at Mulford Farm in East Hampton on Saturday night.
* An opening reception for “Right On! The Lennon Years Photographs by Susan Wood 1968 – 1978” will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. at Mulford Farm Museum in East Hampton. The show will hang through October 18. www.easthamptonhistory.org
* Eric Firestone Gallery in East Hampton will hold an opening reception for “All Killer No Filler” from 6 to 9 p.m. The group show features work by: Shoplifter, Hrafnhildur Arnardóttir, Derrick Adams, Rosson Crow, Sylvie Fleury, Rico Gatson, Michelle Grabner, Carlos Rolón, Dzin, Miriam Schapiro, Tony Tasset, Nari Ward and Wendy White. www.ericfirestonegallery.com