A little rain could never dampen our spirits here in the Hamptons. The sun is shining and it’s going to be a glorious day today. Here are a few of the things that are tempting me away from the beach this afternoon, evening and beyond.
* Red Stixs in Water Mill is hosting celebrity chefs Jeff Mauro, Stephanie Smith, Jill Martin and more for a Sandwich War today from 2 to 4:30 p.m. The fundraising #Sandwar event, sponsored by Don Julio, will benefit the American Cancer Society. I’ll be there for sure and will be posting some photos and delicious drinks recipes later. (800) 227-2345 | http://www.cancer.org.
* Revolve in Southampton, my very favorite hair salon in the world, is participating in a Get Wild Get Tamed event at Malia Mills in the village today from 4 to 7 p.m. Stop by for swimsuit shopping, complimentary waxing with Marta and lots of fun. Learn more about Alicia (seriously, she’s a hair genius!) and the gang at http://www.revolvehairsalon.com.
* Joe Delia & Thieves will play Surf Blues on an Island in Montauk at the Montauk Yacht Club Resort & Marina today from noon to 4 p.m.
* Canio’s in Sag Harbor will host Alan Furst for a reading of “Midnight in Europe” at 5 p.m. today. http://www.caniosbooks.com
* Martin Short is bringing the funny to Guild Hall tonight, Saturday, July 5, at 7 p.m. His set will be followed by a Season Spectacular Benefit Dinner at a private home with with Short himself and Bob Balaban. What is it about Bob Balaban? Every time I see him I want to follow him around like a schoolgirl with a mad crush. True story. http://www.guildhall.org
* AND Guild Hall has teamed up with the Southampton Arts Center to present my girl crush, Melissa Errico, for a Broadway Firecracker! concert at the Southampton Arts Center (former Parrish building on Jobs Lane) tonight at 8 p.m. Get ready to be wowed by theater showstoppers from composers like Jule Styne, Comden & Green, Rodgers & Hammerstein, Sondheim, Stephen Schwartz and more. A VIP meet and greet will follow the show. http://www.guildhall.org | http://www.southamptoncenter.org
* Mark Borghi Fine Art is now exhibiting the works of Bob Dylan from his “The Drawn Blank Series” through July 18. That’s cool. http://www.borghi.org
* The Southampton Historical Museum will be celebrating our nation’s birth at the 1660 Halsey House Gala on Saturday, July 5, from 6 to 8 p.m. with live music, food and drink and the 3rd NY Regiment in colonial costume, and more. http://www.southamptonhistoricalmuseum.org
* Live Out Loud’s 6th annual Pride in the Hamptons fundraiser will be held at the home of Bruce T. Sloan in East Hampton tonight, starting at 6 p.m. http://www.liveoutloud.info
* For the FIREWORKS: “Stars Over Montauk” by Grucci Fireworks at Umbrella Beach starts tonight at 9 p.m. In Westhampton Beach, Grucci fireworks start at 8 p.m. at the Westhampton Beach Country Club. The Sag Harbor Yacht Club will hold the “John A. Ward Independence Day Fireworks” Grucci celebration on Saturday, July 5th at about 9:30 p.m. The Southampton Fresh Air Home’s fireworks will be held on Sunday, July 6 at 9:15 p.m.
* Shoutout to my former intern and all-around excellent and talented guy, Alex Goetzfried, whose “Goatographs Photography Show” will open with a reception at the Hampton Bays Library on Sunday, July 6, from 2 to 4 p.m.
* The Parrish Art Museum in Water Mill is presenting Yoga on the Terrace with Ananda on Sunday, July 6, at 11 a.m. http://www.parrishart.org
* On Monday, July 7, the Stephen Talkhouse in Amagansett will host Independence Daze concerts by a whole ton of fresh new faces, to benefit Project Art at 7 p.m. http://www.stephentalkhouse.com
* Attention fellow film lovers: Stony Brook Southampton is hosting director Todd Haynes and producer Christine Vachon on Monday, July 7, at 5 p.m. for a talk about directing, producing, story and more in honor of the launch of the 2014 20/20/20 Production Boot Camp of Killer Films/Stony Brook Southampton’s new Graduate Program in Digital Filmmaking. RSVP to attend the free event at email@example.com. http://www.stonybrook.edu/southampton/mfa/film/academics.html.
* Also on Monday, July 7, Bay Street Theater in Sag Harbor has invited comedian Heather McDonald to perform at 8 p.m. as part of its summer comedy series. http://www.baystreet.org
Coming up we’ve got ArtHamptons and ArtMRKT next week, plus dozens of other hot happenings. More updates over the next few days.