It’s not even May and the calendar is already starting to fill up for the season. In the spirit of celebrating the here and now, however, let’s first focus on what’s happening in this next week and slightly beyond.
* I can’t wait to see Kate Mueth and the Neo-Political Cowgirls in action for a sneak peek of “Voyeur” at the John Drew Theater Lab at Guild Hall in East Hampton on Tuesday, April 29, at 7:30 p.m. Admission to the work-in-progress dance theater piece, previewing a slated summer performance, is free. http://www.npcowgirls.org | http://www.guildhall.org
* Coming up at Guild Hall, the 76th Annual Artist Members Exhibition opens on Saturday, May 3, and hangs through Saturday, June 7. Yes, I’m jumping the gun a bit on this one but I’ve got a piece in the show and am quite excited, especially as Guild Hall has been very, very good to me–knock wood. An opening reception will be held on Saturday, May 3, from 4 to 6 p.m. http://www.guildhall.org
* LTV in Wainscott will host a “Poetry Affair” reading on Friday, April 25, at 6:30 p.m. Admission is $5. http://www.ltveh.org
* Dodds & Eder Home in Sag Harbor will exhibit “Memories of Place: Land/Water/Sky” by Maria Schon, opening on Saturday, April 26, with a reception from 4 to 6 p.m. Esperanza Leon of Solar curated the show. http://www.doddsandederhome.com
* Bay Street Theatre in Sag Harbor will stage “The Orchard Play” by P. Seth Bauer on Saturday, April 26, at 8 p.m. as part of the New Works Festival. The play, starring Chloe Dirksen, is a contemporary re-envisioning of Chekhov’s” The Cherry Orchard.” Check out this one and more–including “Fight Call” by Jess Brickman on Friday at 8 p.m., a panel discussion and cocktail reception on Saturday at 4 p.m. and “The May Queen” by Molly Smith Metzler on Sunday at 2 p.m. http://www.baystreet.org
* On Saturday, April 26, the Southampton Cultural Center will present a “Broadway Baby” concert with Valerie diLorenzo and Barry Levitt at 7:30 p.m. and don’t forget that the inaugural “Dance is Now” performance and benefit will be held at the SCC on Saturday, May 3, at 6 p.m. I’ll be sure to see you there, as I’m emceeing this terrific new beginning to dance performance in Southampton. Buy your tickets now if you haven’t already. scc-arts.org.
* On Sunday, April 27, head to Montauk and catch the “Concert for the Concerts” at Zum Schneider. with The Lone Sharks, Blue Collar Band and Soundsource from 3 to 7 p.m. Admission is only $10 and all profits support the 2014 Monday Night Concert on the Green series in July and August.
* Lastly, animal lovers mark your calendars for The Animal Rescue Fund of the Hamptons 40th Anniversary Celebration on Saturday, May 3, from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the ARF Adoption Center in Wainscott. Bring your dogs (on leashes) and cats (in carriers) to rub noses with old and new friends, try out the agility course, nosh on treats, enter contests and “Ask the Vet” with ARF’s Veterinarian Dr. Sarah Alward and get your pet vaccinated at this free event. http://www.arfhamptons.org
* “Voyeur” photo by Gregory Crewdson.